Top10 tips for writing op-eds
Op-eds are considered as powerful tools for communication that has the ability to influence the public and initiate the changes in the society. Here are some tips on writing the best op-eds for the society:
- It is important to know in and out of the publication for which you are writing an op-ed. You need to be very familiar to the tone and the style of the publication in order to write according to their style.
- Give a thorough thought about the kind of audience you want to reach out to. You must know how to grab the attention of the audience from the first line of your op-ed.
- Usually the op-eds are written within a span of 800 words. Keep your write ups short and to the point.
- Editors of publication likes essays that brings with them strong opinion. So try and be controversial with your topic so as to spark a debate from the op-ed.
- Do not forget to describe the problem and why it is there in the first place. This will also help you in explaining your perspective to the target audience.
- Also do not forget to offer a solution for the problem. It is important to provide a solution that will work and is easily executional.
- Look for opinions from public. Even if the opinions are against your op-ed, make sure to present them fairly. Try and answer each opinion with your perspective.
- Find a scoop with which you can relate to a current state of affairs. This will help your op-ed get the necessary publicity.
- Conclude your op-ed with a call for action.
- Do not forget to add a few lines about yourself and your credentials.